The intention of these rules is to reward riders who have a clear round and to penalise riders who have jumping penalties or who are significantly faster than the Optimum Time. Where there are several competitors with a clear round, then the nearest to the Optimum Time will win, rewarding an appropriate judgement of pace around the course.
Open to Teams and Individuals
• Riders will jump a course of 5-8 show jumps and then proceed immediately into the XC phase of 8-15 simulated XC fences, depending on the size of the arena
• The speed for the XC phase will be between 320m/m to 375m/m depending on the size of the arena – smaller arena = tighter turns which slow you down. A larger arena with flowing lines will ride on a quicker time. The speed for each class will be given in the schedule or on the noticeboard at the event. Times will be recorded to one-hundredth of a second if the timing equipment allows.
• NSEA/BE Eventing Rules for tack and rider equipment for XC.
• There will be no style mark. No age restriction on the mini (70/75) class.
• Top two teams and Individuals at each height to qualify for the NSEA Eventers Challenge Championship to be held at Hickstead in May.
• The competitor with the fewest penalties wins. In the event of a tie, the competitor closest to the optimum time will be the winner. In the team competition, the total of the best three scores is used to place the team. The combined difference from the Optimum Time of the 3 best scores is used to break any ties.
Jumping penalties are awarded as follows….
Knockdown (to include SJ and a few xc fences) 4 penalties
1st Refusal 4 penalties
2nd Refusal 8 penalties
3rd Refusal Elimination
1st Rider Fall Elimination
Horse Fall Compulsory Retirement
Starting before the bell /Retaking an obstacle already jumped/ Error of course Elimination
Every commenced second in excess of 10 seconds under the optimum time 1 penalty
Exceeding time limit (3 times the time allowed) Elimination
• This competition is run under NSEA General Rules 2021-22
• Outside assistance will not be tolerated, and could result in elimination.
• NSEA affiliated competitors only may warm up & compete horses on the show ground
• All competitors, parents and representatives from every school must ensure that they act courteously to stewards and officials at all times. Most of them are volunteers and rudeness is not acceptable.
• Please see our competition and site rules, and health, safety and legal information.
What to wear
• Competitors must wear a peakless hat (e.g. Jockey Skull Cap) which conforms to current BE safety standards. Hats must be worn at all times whilst mounted.
• Competitors must wear a standard Body Protector which conforms to current BE safety standards. If an Air Jacket is worn, this must be over a Body Protector.
• Hair must be above collar length, long hair to be kept in place in a hair net.
• All persons attending the event must take all reasonable precautions to avoid and prevent accidents and must obey instructions given by the Organiser or by officials and stewards on its behalf.
• All competitors and those associated with their school are the responsibility of the Team Manager whilst at the competition
• All enquiries are to be made by the Team Manager please.
TV & Photography
Please note that professional photographers will be present at NSEA competitions. There may also be TV cameras at the Championships. Please indicate on the entry form if you do not wish to appear in press coverage/ TV or photos taken by our official photographers.
Child Protection & Safeguarding
If you have any concerns, please contact the NSEA on tel 07552 836032 / email@example.com to be put in contact with our designated Child Protection Officer. If you have immediate concerns, you can contact Childline tel 0800 1111 or NSPCC tel 0808 800 5000
Start times will be published 2 days before the event and will be available on this event page and on the NSEA website.
Competitors are to declare and collect their number before entering the warm up arena.
Cancellation & Withdrawals
• You will receive a 100% refund up to one week prior to the event. After this date you will be refunded only if we can fill your space.
• If you would like to withdraw please contact us via email or phone.
• For further information about cancellation and refunds please click here.